OUR Choice: love or fear
How often do you choose love over fear in your life?
Most of the time?
Or do you find that fear creeps in to your day to day decisions and actions more often than you would like?
I’ve found that on my own journey and also witnessing the terrible atrocities that happen all over the world, that sadly in our society we tend to favour fear over love. Look at the news, how often do we hear about stories of beautiful humans helping each other, loving each other?
The media runs on a fear based model, under the belief that the only way they will sell the papers, get people to watch the news on TV is by reporting bad news stories, the more shocking the better in their eyes.
But what impact do you think this has on society when they are under a constant barrage of messages about protection, retaliation, hurt, violence, self preservation, pain and suffering?
Does it bring about a world of people believing in hope and forgiveness, that anything is possible for them, that they can rise to their full potential as they’re inspired by others doing the same?
Nope. It just separates us from one another, leading us to protect ourselves and our family from this ‘cruel’ world.
HOWEVER, there is so much HOPE. We have the power to collectively change this.
Little by little by making shifts in our own lives, we can start to change this way of thinking for the better.
It all starts with us.
Let’s look at our own lives and how we choose love over fear when we’re faced with decisions on a daily basis.
So have a look at the questions below and have a think about which ones you agree with and then decide whether they’re coming from a place of love or fear.
(*These are sensitive subjects so I wholeheartedly respect your honesty in answering these questions)
- Are you eating to nourish your body?
- Do you eat to deprive it?
- Do you eat junk food to make you feel better emotionally?
- Do you do exercise you enjoy?
- Do you exercise to care for your body?
- Do you exercise to lose weight?
- Do you exercise to fit into your jeans, a new dress?
- Do you exercise because you ate too much cake?
- Do you have strong relationships that nourish your soul?
- Do you feel good after spending time with friends/partner, do they encourage you to be the best you?
- Do you stay in a relationship that you know in your heart doesn’t nourish you but you don’t want to be alone?
- Do you avoid a romantic relationships because you are frightened they won’t work?
- Are you on the hunt for a partner to complete you?
- Do you enjoy what you do for work?
- Do you look forward to going to work each week?
- Do you dread that Sunday night feeling?
- Do you feel fulfilled in your career?
- Do you feel like you have enough?
- Do you hold onto it for fear of losing it?
- Do you see money as energy, that it comes and goes but that abundance is always available to you?
What did you find?
Are you making more decisions in your life from a place of fear or love?
If you’re coming from a fear place in your day to day decisions, I hear you lovely.
I’ve been there in perpetual fearland and I continually check myself today, as I can feel old habits and thought patterns slipping back.
I have been in bad relationships and remained in them for longer than was healthy, out of fear of being alone. I have reached for that extra glass of wine and chocolate bar at times of unhappiness or boredom. I have shopped like a crazy lady, desperately buying anything to try and fill that aching void. I have done work that did not excite me or fill me up, and I have been surrounded by people who have criticised me and pushed me down and I let them.
As the beautiful Melissa Ambrosini has coined it, our ‘Mean girl’, our ego, that fearful part of us is STRONG. And is constantly trying to protect and prevent us from realising our full potential. When we listen to her, we stay stuck, we make decisions that are not good or healthy for us.
This is such a big topic, but is massively life changing if we can always check in with ourselves regularly and ask the question:
‘Am I coming from a place of fear or from love?’
The more we ask the question, the more we work with our conscious awareness and the more we start to make life decisions from this place of love rather than fear.
And before I go ponder this…..
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
What comes up for you? Does this quote resonate on a deep level with you?
I’m backing you all the way.
Much love, Claire
Image, courtesy of feelgrafix.com
over to you
What do you notice happens when you choose love over fear?